Auckland Hang Gliding and Paragliding Club


Muriwai NW Face remains closed
After liaising with Auckland Council (thanks Tony for your continued efforts!!), we received the following:
The Geotech reports have revealed that the land at both access points to Otakamiro Point is unstable
and in need of significant remedial work. As a result, the tracks will not be open this summer season.
Unfortunately, this means that your club members won't be able to access the site.

For details:
Media Release - Maukatia Access

We highlighted that we don't use that access track, but Council's concerns over safety still prevail.
And it would send mixed messages about access to the wider public.

So while we may have a few NW winds over the next few months, we won't be able to make use of
them at the NW face, that site remains closed!

Flying from the main Maukatia/Maori Bay site is still possible of course.

Draft - Site Monitor Expectations
Some time ago the discussion started within the Committee to define the 'Job Description' of a Site Monitor. The concept has always been there, but was never defined. This resulted in the drafting on the following document, setting out the expectations and framework around Site Monitors.
Current Site Monitors and all Members are welcome to comment on this draft.
See here for more information:
Site Monitor Expectations

Regional Parks - West: Closed until further notice
Auckland Council Notice

Maukatia - Maori Bay
After a long closure, access to and flying from Maukatia is now okay. Other areas, like the NW Face, are still closed.
See Site Guide page for Maukatia for more details.

Piha
Due to the severe effects of Cyclone Gabrielle, access to Piha is unavailable.
At this stage it is unknown how long this will be.
An assessment of the flying sites needs to be undertaken as well, to see if there is any damage to the site.
Please refrain from trying to access Piha until further notice.

Karekare
Due to the severe effects of Cyclone Gabrielle, access to Karekare is unavailable.
At this stage it is unknown how long this will be.
An assessment of the flying site needs to be undertaken as well, to see if there is any damage to the site.
Please refrain from trying to access Karekare until further notice.


Karioitahi - High Side
Important Notice:
As of 21st of January 2023, the landowner of Karioitahi High Side has decided that for future investment in the site, a membership and fee structure is required for all pilots wishing to fly from this site.

Please refer here.

All other take off sites remain free of charge.

............................

Club Events Calendar

The Club Events Google calendar is now viewable here. There are currently a number of placeholders for upcoming events, so keep these dates free and watch for further information in your inbox.